Houston Probate Lawyer
Imagine you’re handling a loved one’s estate after they passed away. However, you aren’t a lawyer and lack knowledge in probate law.
Without proper legal guidance, you can lose much of the estate’s value in estate taxes, legal fees, and much more. Losing money unnecessarily in probate court on top of losing a family member. It’s too much to think about.
But there’s good news: A Houston probate lawyer can assist with estate planning and handling the estate after someone passes away. Our attorneys have years of experience in probate law and can help you.
A probate lawyer can help a will’s executor or estate beneficiaries to get the estate through the probate process.
Some of the things our Houston probate lawyers do include:
- Identify and secure assets in the estate
- Help you or a loved one pay bills or debts
- Prepare and file required probate documents in court
- Determine if estate taxes are due
- Retitle assets in the names of beneficiaries, if needed
- Manage the checking account for the estate
- Disburse assets to beneficiaries when all bills and debts are satisfied
Why Else Do You Need a Houston Probate Lawyer?
Probate lawyers also do other critical things regarding your or a loved one’s estate. Some of the most common reasons people need a probate lawyer are:
- They offer detailed probate legal advice – Handling an estate involves many complex legal questions involving document filing, transferring property, property valuation, and sometimes will contests. Your attorney will help the estate’s executor and beneficiaries the entire time during probate.
- The probate legal team reviews beneficiaries and asset lists – Your attorney can help avoid legal disputes between beneficiaries. In addition, the attorney will review the entire estate plan to minimize the chances of conflicts.
- They safeguard your estate – Some beneficiaries may claim assets in the estate without the proper legal process. It’s challenging when a beneficiary claims the deceased left them assets or property not described in legal documents.
- They help recipients and heirs – The estate executor and beneficiaries are part of the probate legal process. So, it’s understandable that legal questions will arise. Your attorney will ensure the probate process goes smoothly and all questions are answered.
Do You Need a Houston Probate Lawyer?
Not everyone needs a probate lawyer, but many do. Whether you need an attorney to settle an estate depends on many things. Some of the factors to consider if you need to hire a probate attorney are:
- Did the deceased have a will only? Did they have a trust? Or did they have nothing at all?
- How large is the estate?
- Are there any problematic beneficiary relationships?
- How complex are the beneficiary designations and assets?
If the person who passed away only had a will, you’ll need to go through the probate process. The next thing to consider is how complex the estate is, which will dictate how challenging the probate process is. The more complicated the estate, the more appealing it is to hire a probate attorney.
Remember that many things can go wrong in the probate process if a skilled attorney doesn’t represent you. You can also spend many hours trying to handle probate, preventing you from taking care of your work and family obligations. Sometimes, it’s best to bring in a probate attorney who handles cases like yours.
Contact Our Houston Probate Lawyers Today
The Houston probate lawyers at Titus Law Firm can assist you with probation litigation, estate litigation, and inheritance disputes. Please contact us today so we can help you with the probate process.